Confi 11 Apr 1944
From: Chief, BuAer
To: Commanding Officer, NAS, Patuxent liver, Maryland
Subj: XTB2F-1 - Mock-up Inspection of.
1. It is proposed to convene subject mock-up at the Grumman Aircraft Engineering Corp, Bethpage, L.I., N.Y., during period approx. May 1-4.
2. In effort to facilitate and expedite the work of Mock-up Board, it is desirous that the representation of the NAS be maintained at a minimum. It is requested that this Bureau be furnished the names of the representatives of the NAS who will attend subject mock-up, and whether or not transportation is desired.
C. L. Fike, Col., USMC
Confi. 7 Apr 1944
From: Chief of BuAer.
To: Recorder of Sub-Committe on Standardization of Joint Aircraft Committee.
Ref: (a) JAC SCS Report #1, Case #3000 of Sept. 15,1942.
1. In accordance with ref. (a) notification is hereby given that subj. inspection will be held at the Grumman Aircraft Engr. Corp. Bethpage, L.I.,N.Y. during the period approx. 1-4 May 1944.
2. The XTB2F-1 model has been designed as a twin engine, single tail, high wing carrier type airplane. It combines the functions of a torpedo plane, horizontal bomber and scout, having a range of approx. 1500 miles with normal load of 2 torpedoes. The airplane has also been designed to carry a 75 mm cannon and a bomb load of approx. 10,000 lbs. The maximum gross weight of subj. airplane, in overload condition, is approximately 45,000 lbs.
No allocation of the subject model have been made to services other than the Parent Service, the U.S. Navy.
3. In order to expedite the work of the mock-up Board, it is requested that representation of Advisory Services be maintained at a minimum. It is requested that this Bureau be furnished the names of the representatives of the Advisory Service who will attend subject Mock-up and whether or not transportation is desired.
C. L. FIKE Col., USMC