DEPARTMENT OF THE
NAVAL AIR SYSTEMS COMMAND
WASHINGTON, D. C. 20360
REPLY REFER TO
7 Mar 1967
NAVAIR NOTICE 13100
From: Commander, Naval Air Systems Command
To: Distribution List
Subj: Model F-8L Aircraft; establishment of model designation
Ref: (a) BUWEPSINST 13100.7 of 18 Sep 1962, Designating, Redesignating and Naming Military Aircraft
1. Purpose. This Notice promulgates the F-8L Aircraft model designation.
2. Model Designation Establishment. The model designation of F-8L has been approved for the modified version of the F-8B Aircraft. Modifications of the F-8L over the F-8B are as follows:
(a) Miscellaneous fuselage structural changes
(b) New extended-service life F-8H wing
(c) Refurbished F-8d/e main landing gear and nose landing gear changes for longer stroke
(d) Wing stores capability, including provisions for MER/TER and AWW-2A electrical fuzing system
(e) Hard electrical harness
(f) Improved (F-8e type) interior/exterior lighting
(g) Integral starter
(h) Separation of PC lines
(i) Ventral provisions
(j) Approach power compensator
3. Action. Effective immediately, all addressees concerned with the Model F-8L Aircraft shall identify this aircraft in accordance with the subject model designation. This designation shall apply to all correspondence, aircraft service changes, specifications, records, publications and other official business.
4. Type Equipment Code. The type equipment code for Model F-8L Aircraft is AFSR.
5. Cancellation. This Notice is cancelled upon receipt of the next revision of DOD Model Designation of Military Aircraft Book, prepared in accordance with reference (a), or for record purposes 31 August 1967.
N. O. WITTMANN